Background and Goal
There usually comes a time in most iPhone users lives when they suddenly have a need to save an important text message exchange with family, friends, or a business partner. The question is how best to save the text messages from iPhone to computer and ensure that the SMS messages are safely backed up and copied. Here are some guidelines to transfer iPhone text messages to your Mac or Windows computer so that you have a secondary copy of all your text message data and photo attachments.
To save text messages from iPhone to computer you first need to make a backup.
- Install iTunes on your computer.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer with a USB or Lightning Cable.
- Select your device in the iTunes window.
- Choose Back Up Now.
Having the right tools
After making an iPhone backup, you next want to make sure you have Decipher TextMessage installed on your Windows or Mac computer. The utility tool gives you the ability to save text messages from your iPhone to computer as well as the ability to print out text messages. Decipher TextMessage runs on your PC and never directly on the iPhone itself.
Read and follow these steps to save iPhone text messages to computer.
- Launch Decipher TextMessage.
- Select an iPhone in the left-hand column. Make sure the "last backup date" next to your device is current.
- You will see all your iPhone contacts listed in the program. Choose any contact whose text messages you want to save to computer and the SMS messages, photos, and videos will immediately be visible.
- Next, scroll through the iPhone text messages to ensure all the messages are present. Choose "Export" and select an option to transfer the text messages to PC.
- Navigate to the saved file containing the text messages. When you open the file you will notice that you now have a separate copy of your iPhone text messages backed up and saved along with all your photo attachments!
Decipher TextMessage keeps a history of your saved iPhone text messages on your computer that is completely separate from any data on your iPhone itself. If you have newer text messages on your iPhone that you want to back up, the next time you run the program, the SMS messages and iMessages will immediately be read-in and appended to your existing text message history that is already stored in the program.
For saving iPhone text messages, most iPhone users choose the Export via PDF option to quickly copy their text messages to computer. You will see this choice in the export menu options.
After exporting the messages, double-click on the saved PDF of your text messages and the messages will open up and display in chat-bubble iPhone format just like on your device!
If you need to go a step further and print any iPhone text messages that you saved, simply choose the print option in whichever PDF viewer you are using on your PC or Mac.
You can also search all your iPhone text messages by selecting the Search All Conversations option in the program menu.
This gives you the ability to quickly search for keywords, names, phone numbers, or any specific term that might be contained in any of the text messages on your iPhone or iPad!